Hey WiCS Members! We hope you’ve been keeping well throughout 2020. As we start a new academic year, we begin a new mentorship cohort! That’s right. The WiCS Mentorship Program is open for a virtual format this year, and we’ll need your help now more than ever.
The WiCS Mentorship Program works by pairing mentees and mentors throughout an year long commitment to support mentees in the CS program and their careers! Students have a pairing that they can rely on for guidance with seeking an internship, studying for class exams, or walking through conceptual problems.
If you are:
- Looking to understand your courses better!
- Wanting to establish a connection with someone who has more experience!
- Wanting to prepare for your career with technical advice!
- Looking for advice about which classes to take!
- Looking for someone to bounce ideas off of!
Consider being a Mentee! You’ll gain a deeper understanding of various CS topics and another resource (your mentor) that you can talk to.
If you are:
- Confident in your understanding of CS concepts or courses
- Excited to share your knowledge with others.
- Willing to help someone grow in CS.
- Experienced in technical work or technical interviews.
Consider being a Mentor! This is an amazing opportunity to expand your resume, contribute to the WiCS community, and build a network with other Computer Scientists. Most importantly, you’ll impact the future as we work to empower disenfranchised folks in tech!
If something from both of these appealed to you, keep an eye out for the either / both option in the form below.
Applications are due by 11:59 PM Saturday, October 10th.
Mentor Training and the Kick-off Party will occur on Saturday, October 17th. Zoom details will be released with your pairing information and acceptance letter. You’ll have your results back no later than Wednesday, October 14th.
Mentor Training (mandatory only for mentors) will occur from 9:30 AM to 11:00 AM PST.
The Kick-Off Party is mandatory for both mentors and mentees and will occur from 11:00 AM to 1 PM PST.
If you have any conflicts with the time, please let us know in the form or reach out to us at email@example.com. We’ll happily accommodate for it!
If you have any questions, reach out to us on Slack (wics-psu.slack.com) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).